Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Take Us Out to the Ballgame

We (N and I) went to our first Dartmouth baseball game, and we couldn't have had nicer weather. It was a beautiful day and the Big Green were playing Yale. In fact, it was a doubleheader, though we only stayed for the first game. A and mom had to go out and prepare for her trip to the Big Apple, so they had things to do, so N and I decided to do guy things like watch baseball and eat hamburgers and ice cream. What else is there in life?

As I mentioned, the day was stellar, sunny and cool, warm enough for shorts but not hot. Best of all, the sun was shining, and I'm all for that. I wasn't sure how much N is interested in baseball, but I for one love it. I grew up with baseball, and there's a big difference between watching it on TV and going to the game, which for the record are free. My kind of price. Plus, the stadium is small, so there are no bad seats, and it's a beautiful field.

Since the crowds were not heavy, we moved around a bit, starting behind the plate and then moving to the third base dugout, which was the student section. This concerned me a bit because young people (guys, actually) can be a little rambunctious, especially outside, but it was early in the day so I'm guessing nobody was drunk.

The game itself was exciting, as well. Dartmouth crushed Yale, and hit 2-3 home runs. I got to explain the subtle details of the game to N, and we got to eat hot dogs, though N opted for a burger. The game threw me off a bit because it only went 7 innings, but I was told that happened because it was a doubleheader. We didn't stay for the second game.

We headed over to Fore-U to get ice cream, instead. The plan was to have ice cream and then get home to split wood and make supper, but the line was HUGE. It took us about 20 minutes, but it was a beautiful day, and no time is too long for ice cream... sort of. We were thinking of hitting some golf balls, but I needed to get home to make supper, and since we spent so much time with ice cream, we shifted gears and decided to play tennis instead, which was fun.

By the time we finished, A and mom got home, so we ate supper and headed over to UA to watch the Upper Valley Vixens and some roller derby.

Talk about a fun filled day. Then again, all we do is have fun, right?


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Dartmouth College for the pic.

No comments: