Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Board Again?

Life has been good since I got off the hockey board, and every time I hear about a meeting coming up and remember that I don't have to attend, it only brings a smile to my face. So why is it that I would consider joining yet another board? Yes, I know it sounds crazy, but I've been hounded for the past year by the local cable TV company to join their board. They are hoping for a rep from our town, and part of me is considering it. Personally, I don't know why they would even consider me, I don't know the first thing about being on the board of a TV station.

However, there are a few reasons in support of my membership. First off, A&N are very active there, and are learning a lot about TV and video production, all for free. Second, I can't help but think there are opportunities to do some writing, maybe not paid, but good for amassing experience. I've also met a few of the board members and they seem to be very tech savvy, in a way that could benefit both the kids and I. One of them teaches computer science at the big city high school.

Finally, there's the altruistic side to it all. These opportunities are available to our community because people volunteer their time. Otherwise, they would never get done. Wouldn't you want to help out? I grew up in a household that practically forbade community involvement, it was all about "what's in it for me?" I was never really happy about that, and wanted to help.

Yes, it's a pain, but so is recycling and having a pet. Does that mean we shouldn't do it?

I will ruminate on this one, but like many things in my life, if I were to do it, it would provide a lot of material for this blog, for better or worse.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Sheraton Hotels for the pic.

No comments: