Thursday, October 6, 2016

Back On the Ice?

I've decided that I'm going to play hockey this year and it wasn't the easiest decision because inertia is hard to overcome (I've skipped out the past two years) and I'm definitely going into a situation where I'm inexperienced and somewhat incompetent (that's what I look like on the ice). It's hard for men, especially real-men in training, to put themselves in these situations because it's a real blow to the fragile male ego, exacerbated by the fact that guys who play hockey are super macho. Factor in playing on a regular basis, and it's akin to torture.

There are also the issues of time and money, neither or which are negligible, though you have to make time for the things you enjoy, right? I think I can actually afford it this time, so I'm going for it. My previous team has moved on without me but I contacted them and inquired as to the possibility of me playing, and they said they had space. The captain even welcomed me back. How can I turn back now?

The fact of the matter is that I really enjoyed playing and think that challenging myself is not a bad thing, both physically and emotionally. Plus, it helps me with my skating, which is decent, and my hockey skills, which are well below average. This, in turn, gives me some semblance of credibility when I try to go out and coach the kids, who by now are well above me in terms of skill and in many instances, size.

Oh well, might as well go out there and have some fun, right? This should be interesting. Needless to say I have reservations and am a little anxious, but those are the times when you have to jump in with both feet, right? At least that's what I tell my kids.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Kate K for the pic.

No comments: