Friday, October 7, 2016

Front Nine

Fall is in the air, which means falling leaves will eventually turn to snow and golfing will come to an end. I think the season ends some time in October, so N and I decided that we should get as much golf in as possible, not that it's so simple. Golf is a bit of a production, not just in getting to the course, but allotting the time to play: even just doing half the course, the "front nine" as they say in golfing circles, takes a few hours. Who has a few hours to spare? Not me, that's for sure. That doesn't mean we don't set aside time to do it, because let's face it, the opportunity is too good to pass up. We have some nice golf courses nearby, and we get to golf for free at one of the best. You just can't beat that.

So we're golfing a fair amount. Our goal was once a week at the course and once or twice a week at the driving range. This past week there was too much going on to hit the course, but going to the range is fairly doable, and it's definitely a great way to work on our swing. Speaking of which, I've been getting increasingly interested in my golf game and am putting more thought into my swing. I'm still pretty bad but being more thoughtful about it makes it more interesting and fun. And, while N has expressed his skepticism about this, the last time we went out golfing I only lost one ball. This is significant considering that I usually lose about 4-6 balls every outing. It's a good thing N brings plenty of extra balls, and we end up finding a bunch on the course (clearly I'm not alone).

One last note, the last time we golfed I also noticed that N was doing a fine job. His drives were straight and beautiful, and he did a nice job when he hit with his irons. I'm no pro and can't give expert feedback, but some things about golf are pretty intuitive, and I think he was looking good. He's definitely gaining confidence, which is all the more reason to keep hitting the course. Next time we may get crazy and try doing the "back nine." I'm not sure if that is the proper term but I'll let you figure out what it means.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Eddy Doyle for the pic.

No comments: