Monday, October 31, 2016

So Sore

It was with some trepidation that I played my first hockey game two nights ago, and when I say trepidation, I mean verging on outright fear. I played adult league hockey two years ago and had a blast, despite my lack of ability. Let's face it, there are guys out there that have played their entire lives, and they are really good. Other have played at least for several years, which was more than I had played my entire life. It was literally my first time even attempting to play hockey, and while it was a challenge to say the least, I had a blast. Sure, some of those guys were really good, and while they kept it toned down for most of the games, they could turn it on when the need arose and score at will. At some point it got ridiculous, but what are you going to do?

The next year I wanted to play but it costs some money and being the broke SAHD that I am, I wasn't in a position to justify spending a few hundred dollars on improving my hockey game, so I passed. It was a bummer, especially since I was at the rink all the time with the kids. I saw my team filing in to play and was bummed I couldn't be with them. The following year I was working at the Inn and had the cash but didn't have the time. Isn't it crazy how things work out? I was working nights and couldn't the evening off to play. Sure, I was making some cash, but the work was a chore and the hours intolerable.

This year is first year that I had both the time and money. Even still, I had great reservation about returning because I am not a hockey player (I just play one on TV) and as I mentioned, the competition can be fierce. I had also heard from several friends that the league had gotten too intense and players from the league above were coming down and tearing things up. I think this ruined it for many of the guys, and I can see why. It's no fun when 2-3 players are doing everything.

I decided to go for it anyway. Heck, I had the dough (barely), and I had the time. I even got mom's blessing. It was still hard to justify paying the fee, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Of course I missed the first game because of N's birthday, but this week I finally made it back. I was nervous to say the least, and it would not have taken much to dissuade me from attending - I know, I'm such a coward. Nothing, however, came up, so I went and if you can believe it, I had fun. I also didn't kill myself, which was a distinct possibility given my abilities. We won the game, I was able to contribute in some form, and my glorious hockey career is back up and running. I love when that happens.

Sure, my legs are so sore that they feel like they're going to fall off, but that's the price you have to pay to play with the big boys. I just hope my legs start working again by the next game.

-->
Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Molly M for the pic.

No comments: