Sunday, March 6, 2011

Impromptu Supper

We had our Friday supper all planned out and ready to go. I was going to make salmon with all the fixings, but then I ran into HH, whom we had invited over for supper the previous week, along with her girls who are buddies with our kids, but she couldn’t make it. At the time I mentioned that maybe we could just do it the next week, and left it at that.

We had not touched base since that time, so I didn’t give it much thought. Plus, we had been eating pizza all week, so we weren’t in the mood for more. Anyway, when I ran into HH, she mentioned the previous week’s invitation for supper, and I said I hadn’t given it any thought. I was sort of scrambling, saying we weren’t really prepared and had other plans, but realized it wasn’t such a big deal. HH is our good friend, and her kids are amazing.

I decided right then and there to lighten up and be more spontaneous. When I was a kid, we never had friends over for supper, or for that matter, over to our house period. When I became a parent, I vowed to relax and let things evolve as they may. This includes being able to have people over on the spur of the moment.

So, I said why not? I’d have to scratch our original plan because HH and her kids are vegetarians, and the fish wasn’t big enough for seven people. I also had not confirmed these plans with R. So the plan was for HH to take all the kids over to her place, and I was going home to throw together a vegetarian supper. I had about an hour to pull it together.

I jetted home and left a message with R at work, then slapped together a salad, sweet potato soup, fritata (they eat eggs and dairy), and grilled asparagus. HH brought over bread and these killer brownies. Got to get the recipe for those, they had what we long for, the crispy top and chewy inside.

After supper, the kids went crazy upstairs while we chatted with HH. She’s a really cool person, so many experiences, and we love hanging out with her. She and R do things together, so everyone is comfortable and we always have a good time.

The question is, will she give up that brownie recipe? Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to typofi and diamondjoy for the pics.

No comments: