Friday, March 11, 2011

A Really Nice Day, part 2

After a wonderful but wet day of skiing, we had a few hours before going to our evening party at NT’s. I was exhausted after a long day of skiing really tough terrain. The snow was wet and slushy, so it was like skiing heavy powder. This really takes a toll on your leg muscles, and all I wanted to do was lie down and go to sleep, but there was much to do.

We were heading to a house concert, and because it was also a celebration of A’s birthday, we were bringing a cake, which we were still in the process of making. I had baked the two layers that morning, and R was in charge of making the frosting and decorating. A wanted to help, so she and R put on the frosting, and then A was in charge of decorating. She did a great job and had fun. Here’s what’s left of it.

Since supper was involved, I figured we should bring some food. We didn’t have much time, so I opted to make a frittata, but needed eggs, and in another example of the stars aligning properly, scored a last-second dozen off KJ a the Flower Farm. I was stoked. I whipped up the frittata, and headed over to the party. It was a small gathering of friends, and A’s best buddies A&I were there. We ate, mingled, and then the musicians performed.

The show was amazing, I really liked the music, and the duo were really talented. You can see the passion in their singing and performance. They took a break and let A get up to play, which took me a bit by surprise. In the past, during KR’s performances, she was always really nice and let A come up and do a few songs, but this was another deal. The evening was about their performance, and I didn’t want to make any assumptions that A could get up their during their show, and even decided not to bring along her guitar.

However, everyone there was all for it, and even asked if A could play. She was more than happy to oblige, and as usual, being the neurotic parent, found reason to be mortified. What if she hadn’t practiced enough? What song was she going to sing? She didn’t have her guitar.

And as usual, my concerns were completely unfounded. She did a fantastic job, playing a really difficult song and doing a great job. It was amazing, and I’m grateful that the performers were supportive in letting her play. After her song, we had cake and the artists sang happy birthday, which was really cool. The cake turned out well, I think because there was a good frosting to cake ratio. Very important. Here's what's left of it.

A got up and sang another song, and then the artists finished the show. It was a really amazing night, and most importantly, A had a blast on her special day. She said as much. We got home and hit the sack immediately, we were all exhausted, but I can’t tell you how grateful I am that her day ended up nicely, especially since so many things were up in the air. Sometimes you have to just throw fate to the wind and see how things unfold. It adds to my level of anxiety, but makes life m ore interesting in the end.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: