Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Advent Calendars

Part of the fun of the holiday season is when the kids get to open up a new window on their advent calendars. Now we’re not into the whole religious aspect of Christmas, and A&N don’t even know what advent is all about, but like all kids, they love opening little windows. I always space out and forget about the calendars until we are a few days into December, and by then the ball is already rolling. Then it becomes a scramble to find the darn things.

I had heard that LL Bean had cool advent calendars, but when I called them, they said they just sold out. How’s that for a bummer? We were set to meet our friends for ice skating, so I figured that Woodstock would be a good place to find one. I went to Gillingham’s and they had these beautiful heirloom advent calendars made of wood, and they were only $100 each. At that price, I had to get at least two... just kidding.

There was no way I was going to spend over $10 for an advent calendar, and was really shooting for $5. Gillingham’s had the cheaper kind, but they were either too religious, or too cheesy. Plus, for what they were, they seemed a bit expensive. I walked over to the Pharmacy and they had cheesy ones, as well, but maybe not as cheesy, and definitely cheaper. I got two, and A&N were fine with that.

I learned later that the place to get cool advent calendars is the Dartmouth bookstore. They had some nice ones, all under $10, and with cool themes. I’ll know where to go next year, and hopefully I’ll think of it sooner.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to uwbobio for the pic.

No comments: