Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Morning Hockey Drama

We ran into a bit of a fiasco with the last hockey practice, and I have to say, even in lieu of all the drama, things work out and you can laugh about it later. It’s amazing what a parent goes through.

As I mentioned, N had early morning practice at 8:30. I don’t know what they were thinking, but it’s a bit much. There are people who come from at least an hour away, so you can imagine what it takes to get there. I guess school was out on that day, so kids were free, but most parents had to work. Because of this, I told KB that I could pick up C and take her in. They had arranged for a ride home, so it would work out. I couldn’t take C home because the plan was to go skiing after hockey. The arena is about 1/3 of the way to Pico, so why not?

Of course, recovering from oral surgery changed everything, so no skiing. That still left hockey in the AM, and this is where the fun began. I went to wake up N at 7:00 AM, and he’s not a morning person. He said he was too tired and wanted to skip, so I was in a quandary. I still had to pick up C, but now without N. I was going to call KB and explain, but figured it was a waste of time, just go and get her. Fortunately we’re family friends so C wouldn’t be weirded-out with some strange adult.

When I went to get C, KB said I should have said something and he would have taken here, but truth be told, he and A both had to be at work, and I was happy to take her, so off we went. Well, about 3/4 of the way to the arena, our cell phone rang and I asked C to answer it. It was A, and she said that N had changed his mind and wanted to go to practice. What? There was no way I was going to get home on time, so I told him to eat his breakfast, put on his gear, and I would be home ASAP after dropping C off. Then, mom came up with the fabulous idea (she’s so good) of driving N over in the other car. Brilliant.

It’s funny because when we got to the arena, the coach asked me if I’d brought my own kid. It’s a long story, I told him. N arrived about 20 minutes later, and he was only about 10 minutes late to practice. It was actually nice because A and mom hung around to watch, which I think thrills N. He loves an audience. We went home afterward and had a quiet day of recovery, at least for me. It was quite the drama, and I have to confess, amusing in retrospect. Also have to admit that our cell phone has come in quite handily in the past few weeks.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: