Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas is in the Air

Christmas is in the air, but then again, it isn’t. It’s still a bit early, but things have a way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it. I seemed to notice that everywhere I look, people have a Christmas tree on the roof of their car. Maybe because the weather is unusually warm and the fact that we don’t watch TV, it’s hard to really get the full impact of the season, but it’s here.

The local radio stations are starting to play Christmas music, there are holiday concerts being promoted, and we got our cards and even a wreath and our tree. Of course, there’s a story to this. Our friend CH was selling wreaths and of course we were going to buy one. We usually get a wreath, anyway, and how can you say no to such a great kid? The tree was a little trickier. The place where we get our tree had just received a shipment, and they seemed to be selling fast. After N’s hockey game, we were debating when to buy the tree, and mom kind of hinted that it was too soon and would be all dried out by Christmas. As far as the kids were concerned, the time to get a tree was NOW. I sort of recall keeping our tree up until February, so I wasn’t totally buying the dried out theory.

A&N kept asking when we could get our tree, and mom kept preaching patience. I was all for getting it sooner than later, but I didn’t want it to become 3 against 1, even though that’s exactly what happened. We were driving home from N’s hockey game and we passed by our tree guy, and his supply had dwindled significantly. We all let out a gasp of despair, and mom had little choice but to relent and let us get a tree. You don’t want to be the bad guy in these situations, and truth be told, it’s always fun to get a tree.

So I did a U-turn and we stopped to look at trees. The guy raised his prices, and even I was against spending a lot on a tree, so we settled on a smaller one that looked nice. I think the kids would have loved a 10 ft. tree, but we could never fit that in our house, and it would have cost a fortune. I’m all for small trees, they are more endearing, as R would say.

Now we have our tree. I had some trouble giving it a fresh cut, maybe my bow saw needs sharpening, so I ended up cutting it with the miter saw, and was it ever easy. Now all I have to do is start writing Christmas cards, because as everyone knows, the season has a way of sneaking up on you.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Robert Proksa for the pic.

No comments: