Sunday, December 25, 2011

Redemption, Perhaps?

I was going to say some bad things about the Vermont Country Store, but they may have redeemed themselves. Then again, redemption has not come yet, and the initial negative experience is still a reality, so has anything really changed?

I ordered something from the Vermont Country Store, and being all down-home and cozy, I figured they would have great customer service, the gold standard being LL Bean, which is pretty hard to beat. I’m not expecting miracles, but a little support and sympathy would be nice. I ordered the item about two weeks ago, figuring the store was in Vermont and it wouldn’t take too long to get here. I then noticed that they had some promotion where they would guarantee that it would be delivered by 12/23 if you put in some promotional code, no charge.

I called and asked if I could still get the item before Christmas, which is not unreasonable considering I was two weeks prior, and they gave me the run around. They said since I didn’t enter the code, there was no guarantee I would get it before Christmas, but there was a good chance it would get here by the 24th. How lame is that? I told them I’m in Vermont, and they said it didn’t matter.

I was ready to tell them to take a hike, but decided to keep my cool. I figured it would get here when it got here, and if it was late, I would simply never buy anything from them again. Ha, take that. I called a couple of days later and they said it would go out on Monday and should arrive by Saturday. What a joke. I checked my account on Monday and if you can believe it, it still hadn’t gone out. I contacted them once again, and this is where it got interesting.

The person I spoke with said there was some error on the order and it appears to have been lost. She said she would send out a replacement next day UPS, so I should get it by Wednesday. Fair enough. I was happy they finally were being nice, but I was also aware that if I hadn’t been on top of things and being a pain, things would not have worked out.

In the end, it seems to have all worked out, but I still got bad vibes off the whole experience. Is it true that all’s well that ends well? Not always.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to kamil kantarcıoğlu for the pic.

No comments: