Friday, December 2, 2011

Getting Our Feet Back

Now that we’re back in frigid New England, it’s time to get used to cold weather activities, though the weather has been unseasonably balmy since our return. In fact, when we landed in Boston, it was 60 degrees and we didn’t need our jackets. What’s up with that?

Though we really enjoyed our time in Florida, it’s nice to be back home, and I figured since N missed so much hockey, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to hit the ice one time before he starts practicing and playing. A and mom went and had girl’s day out, so me and N decided to get our feet back onto the ice. There are ample opportunities for this at all the local rinks, and over the weekend we decided to head over to Union Arena. It’s usually busy over the Thanksgiving weekend, and that sure was the case this time around. Usually we’re one of a handful of people on the ice, but this time around, the place was packed. It makes skating a little more challenging, but also more interesting and dare I say, fun?

There were several of N’s buddies out there, so he got to hang with them while I skated and chatted with the adults about school, power tools, and professional sports teams, not to mention how the holidays were going. It was nice, and I personally like it better when there are more people on the ice, it makes it much more intersting. I feel the same way about skiing, surfing, and almost every other activity. Maybe I’m a social guy, but being the only ones out there can feel sort of lonely.

It was a fun time, and again, it was nice seeing friends and neighbors. Good to see a good crowd at the ice rink, as well. We scored the last two pieces of pizza and hung out with the families while a group of Pee-Wees practiced on the ice. It’s funny because a few weeks back I played open stick with some of the Pee Wees out of Hartford and they skated circles around me. I was relaying this story to a friend when one of the kids who was practicing after the public skate called out my name, and sure enough, they were in the group. Really nice kids, I have to give them credit for being polite and humble.

All in all, a good day back on the ice. I even wore my helmet, not only to try to look cool as a pseudo-hockey player, but also to protect my melon as I practice skating like a hockey player. Did I mention that it reminds me of when I first started playing ultimate frisbee? The analogy is interesting, to say the least.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Stephanie Hofschlaeger for the pic.

No comments: