Monday, December 12, 2011

Dad’s Turn at Hockey

This past week dad had his first go at Learn to Play Hockey, and was it ever fun. There was some question as to whether the time would work out, and at some point I even convinced myself that it wasn’t because it’s on a weekday morning and R can’t sit around all morning the kids, so I decided to bail on it. When R woke up, she asked me about the hockey, and I told her that I decided against it, for which she immediately scolded me and told me to go. It was late, however, and I figured it wasn’t worth it, but at the prodding of the two most important women in my life (R&A), I relented and packed up my limited amount of equipment and headed over to the rink. I think the people over at the rink thought I was crazy (they were right) because I originally enrolled, then cancelled my enrollment, and then showed up to play. What a nutcase I am.

I was a bit late, but the scene was pretty relaxed, and it wasn’t a big deal. The coach walked, or should I say skated, us through several drills that I’ve seen before because they are identical to the ones they practice with the youth hockey program. It’s interesting being on the inside. Everyone was pretty much at the same skill level, and the equipment requirements were fairly relaxed, so I could get away with just elbow and shin pads, and a helmet. I wore as much as I had, and the only thing I’m really missing are the pants, for which I’m scouring the area thrift shops. I’m confident that at some point, I’ll find a pair.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and I learned a few drills that I can practice on my own. After all the skills stuff, we played a short scrimmage, and it was a blast. It’s good for parents to at least try out what their kids do, because not only is it good exercise, but it really helps them to understand and empathize with what they’re going through. I can’t wait for the next class.

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: