Friday, December 9, 2011

Sports Journalist

I got my first shot at sports journalism greatness and wrote up the weekend summary for N’s hockey team. They write a cool little summary every week about how the hockey program as a whole fared, and it’s awesome reading about the kids. I love it. I broached the subject with the coaches, who write the pieces, and said I’d be willing to help and write it. They were more than happy to hand off the job, and thus begins my glorious career in journalism.

Of course, having never done anything like this, I was more than a little neurotic. I know it’s not a big deal, but for me, everything writing related is a big deal, so I wanted to do a good job. I even took notes at the games, which ain’t easy when there are to games going on simultaneously. Plus, I can’t spend the entire time just watching N, I have to follow all the players.

I guess that’s the first step to objective journalism, compromising a little on what you want to uncover the truth, whatever that means. It was fun, and low stress, so believe it or not, at least for now, I’m enjoying this gig.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Nicolas Raymond for the pic.

No comments: