Friday, December 9, 2011

I Love a Happy Ending

Life seems to throw all sorts of drama at you, and I find it makes it more interesting if not a little stressful, but I sure do love it when things work out nicely. We had some issues that cropped up, and while I fully confess that I get overly dramatic (just ask R) and make mountains out of molehills, I’m still sincerely grateful when things work out. You just can’t take these moments for granted.

We were all set for ski equipment this winter, or so I thought. I had all their ski stuff and even snowboard stuff all lined up and we were ready. Of course, now that we’re all set, we might not get any snow this year, but that’s another story. Anyway, I went through the equipment with the kids to make sure everything fit, but this was in September. Three months later in December, it turns out A’s boots no longer fit. Funny how that works. I know Henderson’s has a wealth of used equipment to swap and sell early in the season, but I wasn’t sure if it was too late to pull it off now. Even though there is no snow, we are on the cusp of the ski season, and the early bird gets the worm.

I figured that the only way to find out was to at least try. When in doubt, go for it, right? So we went over and as luck would have it, the JH was working, and he’s always cool. He’s the man in charge, so what he says goes, and he said we could swap the boots for a larger size. We were stoked, and now A has everything she needs. I love Henderson’s.

Afterward, we headed over to my Mentor’s place to see him one last time before he heads back to the Yukon territory. His better half left some gifts for the kids with him, and I wanted to see him off for the winter. Plus, it was interesting seeing our old digs in the aftermath of Irene. He is actually overseeing the rebuilding, the general contractor as they say. I can’t think of a better guy to be in charge.

We had a nice visit, and hope to see him again when he comes back down. From there, it was off to UA to meet the Es for public skate. It was quite the crowd, and we had fun, but afterward on the way home, A&N realized that N was missing part of one of the gifts, the cool part. One of the books came with a little padlock, and we couldn’t find it in the car. They were eating lunch in the back and I tossed out the garbage, so there was a chance it was there. The problem was, we were a couple of miles away, en route back home, so I wasn’t so keen on turning back, but I didn’t want N to be left out in the cold. He was so bummed. So we drove back, and I went to the garbage can in question and jumped in, head first. In a moment of incredible serendipity, I found the wad of trash I put in there, and upon unraveling it, found the lock. I was so happy, as were the kids.

I’m just a sucker for a happy ending. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to fadTheRed for the pic.

No comments: