Friday, August 24, 2012

Back to Karate

If only for a day, I finally made it back to karate, and it sure felt good. The class is small, though there are new faces. People were surprised to see me, and I felt guilty for being absent for so long. As many of you might know, once you start slacking off on something, it’s a slippery slope, and takes even more effort to get back into the swing of things. There were days when I could have made it to karate, but there were so many other things going on, I found it way too easy to blow it off. Legitimate reasons, mind you, but you have to learn to prioritize.

What’s funny is that I showed up, and now I’m going to miss three more weeks for assorted reasons. Oh well, at least I showed up this one time. Master H wants to have a final brown belt test before the big black belt test at year’s end. This means that during my absence, I have to practice my katas and sparring in my spare time, which is how it should be, anyway, right?

This should be interesting. I will say this - being away was a bummer, but I did practice my body of knowledge, and found that demonstrating katas was not too bad. In fact, I felt pretty good. The only challenge will be practicing the new kata that I’ll need for 1st brown, which I know fairly well, but not perfectly. The problem is that I need to learn it just right or I’ll be practicing it all wrong come test time.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to AchoSan for the pic.

No comments: