Sunday, August 5, 2012

Let the Games Begin

Not the Olympic games, mind you, but the youth hockey games (what else is there in life?). Even though the season is months away (actually, not that far), the planning for the season begins now, and I’ve been recruited to be at the front lines of it all. This, of course, begs the question, how the @#^&% do I get myself into these things? For whatever reason, DF felt like I was the man for the job, and on the one hand I could take this as a compliment, but on the other, an acknowledgement of what a sucker I am. When I mentioned to R the plan, she was not happy, but her initial response to all of my ideas is usually less than positive (to put it lightly).

Either way, I’m doing it, and so far, it’s been interesting. I’ve spoken with a few people about the job, and with the exception of DF, who is a firm believer in “anything is possible,” most people talk about what a bear of a job it is. Not the best POV to start something new. When I was initially asked by DF if I would help, of course I said yes, but I indicated that I didn’t know if I could do the scheduling, because it does seem like a big job. Nonsense, DF said, in typical optimistic fashion. He acknowledged that it was a big job, but he is confident I can do the job. Thanks a lot, I think.

One thing is for certain, this will definitely keep me in the thick of the youth hockey world, because I will be rubbing elbows with all the other organizations. What my job entails is contacting the other teams that we’d like to play and organizing the games. We have limited time slots, as do they, so it’s a bit of a game matching times and trying to find a way to make everyone happy. As every parent in this world knows, this is an impossibility.

The problem is compounded by the fact that we’ll be away at some point, and someone else is going to have to take over. In the meantime, I’ll have to do as much as I can during the time that I am here. The previous scheduler, BM, did an amazing job, and I think he should continue, but alas, it is not meant to be, so the torch is being handed off to me. I just hope I don’t get burned.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to 2014lovessocial for the pic.

No comments: