Monday, August 6, 2012

Rekindling (no pun intended) the Wood Pile

The time has come to return my attention to the woodpile and being the long process of splitting all that wood. I don’t know where the time goes, but it’s already August, and before I know it, winter will be here. It is not a pressing situation because all of our wood for this winter has been drying for the last year and a half, but as I’ve mentioned continuously (painfully?), the idea is to have the wood dry for two years, after which it will burn beautifully. At least that’s the theory, though I’ve found even after two years, I get some hissing when it burns. Oh well, you can’t win them all.

There is about a half cord of blocks lying in the splitting area, so I started splitting that, after which I’ll have to begin the laborious process of moving the cut blocks over. It’s one of those jobs that you initially look at and think it’ll never end, but you have to just do it. At some point, if you can believe this, and I won’t fault you if you don’t, but I actually sort of enjoy it and look forward to doing it. I can’t quite explain it, because it’s hard work, but it just goes to show you that you can set your mind to something and find it satisfying. It’s the process and end result that make it enjoyable.

Then again, it’d be a lot easier to sit back and watch the Olympics. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: