Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Being Official

I went to my first official state hockey meeting as a scheduler, and it was interesting, to say the least. I’ve been in contact with several of these people trying to arrange games, so it was nice to put a face to the voice, but there were a bunch of people who were completely unfamiliar to me. Plus, I was the only person from our area. Since the meeting was up in Waterbury, which is about 75 miles from here, most of the people were from up and around Burlington, which is a mecca for hockey. These people mean business up here.

My main goal was to meet with other schedulers and get some more games on the calendar, though DF really wanted me to do reconnaissance and find out what’s going on with Vermont Hockey. I have to say, DF is really committed to the hockey program, he’s a pretty amazing guy. When I see how hard that guy works, and nobody works harder, I can’t help but want to help as well.

Either way, the meeting was interesting, though I was hoping to make more contacts, but all the folks from up north seemed to know each other, and I wasn’t really prepared to break into their circle. Plus, the meeting was more informational, and once the talk was over, everyone got up and left. I did manage to connect with the Barre and Lyndon schedulers, both of whom were very cool. Got those games under our belt.

Now I’m going to meet with DF and give him the low down, though a lot of the discussions were over my head. They toss around all these references to things I have no idea about, but I tried to take good notes. Hopefully DF will be able to put together the pieces.

In the meantime, I’ll keep trying find games. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to johnwmacdonald for the pic.

No comments: