Friday, August 17, 2012

Searching For a Groove

As anyone who reads this blog on a regular basis (all two of you) knows, I’ve been somewhat out of sync lately and haven’t been posting. I’ve just been swamped with other obligations, mainly hockey and school. I’ve even been blowing off my back exercises, and paying the price, accordingly.

The problem with hockey scheduling is that it’s all so new and daunting, so the learning curve is steep and the process is slow. Every little step takes time to learn and become familiar with, and for me, that takes time. I’m hoping eventually it’ll go more quickly, which it already is, though I’m working with a blank slate. This is a double edged sword, because on the one hand, the possibilities are unlimited, but on the other, there are too many darn choices. This should get interesting when the schedule starts to fill out. The situation is further complicated by the fact that game and team availability is in a constant state of flux, so that things are changing constantly and I am never completely sure what’s available to me. Oh well, nobody said it would be easy, and nobody told me that I had to take the job, though sometimes I have a hard time saying no to Mr. Hockey. He works amazingly hard.

On the school front, we have two issues making it difficult. First off, the state has indicated that they won’t be as lenient anymore about enrollment, which includes end of year assessments and next year’s curriculum. This meant that I had to get off my behind and get it done. The past few years we turned stuff in a little on the late side, usually after Labor Day. One year we sent it in October, and I think this made them mad. Consequently, they’re laying down the law and saying it has to be in before Labor Day. Yikes! This is complicated by the fact that we are going on vacation at some point, so time is running out.

With this in mind, I have to put other things aside and get it done. This means going over the school year, summarizing what we’ve done, then preparing for our assessment. Concurrently, I have to determine what we need to do for the coming school year, and then submit a curriculum to the state. This is the hardest part, and is subject to the most criticism by the state. In the past, we’ve had to revise our submission because it didn’t meet their criteria, which is a pain, but you do what you’ve got to do.

All in all, it’s been sort of busy on this end, at least for mom and dad. The kids are having a blast, so I should be happy for that.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to cdb41 for the pic.