Saturday, August 4, 2012

Tomato Crazy

Our tomato plants are growing like crazy, not to mention our squash. We’ve even harvested the first fruits of our labors, a few tomatoes. How cool is that? I can see tons of green tomatoes on the plants, I just don’t know when they’ll ripen, though I guess green fruit is a good start. One of the plants, the Mortgage Busters, actually collapsed from the strain. I’d been told by a number of people that the tomato cages are useless, and I’m inclined to agree, though with some diligent intervention, you can lessen the blow.

One problem we are seeing is the arrival of the tomato hornworm, or whatever it’s called. The things are voracious eaters of tomato plants, and they are huge and menacing, if not a bit impressive. I must have picked off at least a dozen, and you figure those are only the ones you can see. There must be a bunch hiding out in the foliage. You do the best you can with what you got, and I ain’t got much.

All in all, things are moving along nicely. I’m hoping the tomatoes will ripen in the next few weeks so I can freeze or can them, but we’ll see. You can’t rush Mother Nature.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: