Monday, June 27, 2011

Getting Published

I got my first piece of writing published in a legitimate publication, the Valley News. It was one of those situations that I really didn’t expect much, but figured it was worth a try. I sent an essay in about being a SAHD, figuring that it would simply be a sample of my writing and I might have the chance to write something else, but the editor liked it and asked me to adapt it.

I was surprised, but grateful for the chance, and rewrote it to be less whimsical and to have a broader appeal. R helped me out, thanks to her editing abilities. These conversations all occurred before we left for vacation, and when we got back, I sent in the piece, and lo and behold, it came out in the paper, on Father’s Day, no less.

Now I’ve got something to put down on my website that people won’t look at and say, “What publication is that?” Maybe I can finally get my glorious freelance writing career started so we can afford to maintain our fabulously opulent lifestyles.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to iriann for the pic.

No comments: