Thursday, June 16, 2011

Karate Test

While we were away on vacation, I knew in the back of my mind that A was slated to be tested at some point, but we didn’t know when. One of the students was ready to test, and I figured A was prepared, as well. When we returned, the other student was supposed to test during one of the classes when we were back, but she couldn’t make it on the test day, so it was pushed back until the next week. Seeing an opportunity, I asked if A could test as well, and Master H and Sensei CH said yes. A was stoked.

We did some preparation the week before, and A said she was ready. When the next class came, the other student said she wasn’t ready to test. I couldn’t believe it, she was supposed to be prepared last week, and had all week to prepare for this one. Granted, she said she was sick, but she could have checked to see when the next test would be, or at least assume, as everyone else did, that the test would be postponed until the following week. Either way, I understand her hesitation, and that little shred of doubt is enough to keep you from just doing it, but I just felt like she could have been more responsible about it.

Also, her not taking the test made me wonder if A could still test, though Master H said that she should, by all means, test on that day. Not the most efficient process, but at least she got to go ahead. It would have been better to test everyone who was moving up at the same time, but what are you going to do?

The test went well, and A was really prepared, with a few kinks here and there, but that’s natural. It was a nice class, and A was excited to be moving up to her blue belt, a momentous occasion. There is talk of having the class twice a week, but I’m not sure how that’s going to go. I understand the benefits, but some of us don’t have the time. We’ll see what happens with that.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to RIC for the pic.

No comments: