Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Last T-Ball Game

We played our final game the other night. The adults took the field and the kids got to bat, so they all had a chance to hit several times, and the adults got to show of their athletic abilities to their wives, reminding them, in part, of why they married us in the first place... or not.

It was great of the two dads to take the helm and be leaders, but I got a sense that they were finished with coaching. At least, that’s how it seemed from their comments, which is kind of sad, because the kids need parents to come forward and help out. When I was growing up, there were at least 3-4 parents who coached each team, without question, and if they weren’t coaching, they were happy to pick up a glove and play catch with you. I remember the dads in suit and tie taking off their coats and warming up with their kids.

Now, it seems as if you couldn’t pay these guys to come out and help, even if means just tossing the ball around with the kids. Next season, I’m wondering how it’s going to work out, because I’m sure there will be the same problems with finding parents to volunteer, and it’s going to fall on yours truly. As much as I dread it, I’m guessing I’ll have to do it for the sake of the kids. Nobody said parenting would be easy.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Nathan Ingersoll for the pic.

No comments: