Thursday, June 23, 2011

Ultimate Frisbee

We had the best game of ultimate frisbee (UF) last week, mostly because both A&N took part, and N kicked some serious butt. He scored I think 4 or 5 goals, and he was beaming and on top of the world. His teammates kept referring to him as their secret weapon, and he ate it up. It was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen. He’s become quite good at throwing and catching the frisbee, and it means the world to him that he’s found his place in the UF universe. Thanks to all of the players for helping him along and making him feel welcome.

A also joined in, and now she’s hooked, as well. When we got there, she had every intention of just sitting back and watching her dad and brother play. However, JM and his daughter were there, and they encouraged her to practice a little and take part. Before she knew it, she was getting good and tossing the old disc around, and by the time the game started, JM had talked her into playing. She was pensive at first, and we were on the same team, so I helped her out and encouraged her. I think she was worried about doing the wrong thing, but I helped to break the ice by screwing up completely and turning it disc over several times as well as getting burned on defense over and over again. I’m old and slow.

Either way, it doesn’t matter in the end because it’s all in good fun, though some of those guys are amazingly good. It helps being young and fast. By the time about half an hour had passed, A was completely into it, and having a blast. It was cute how excited they get, and on a few occasions, when N or A was on the opposing team, I have to confess to letting my defense slip a little and letting them catch the frisbee. I’m not going to swat it away from my own kids.

We played until it was getting dark, and made several new friends. I never really envisioned myself as a UF player, it seems so young and hip, but though I’m probably the slowest and least agile player out there, I’m not the oldest, so I’ve got that going for me. On a bright note, I’m not nearly as sore this time around as the last time we played, so I might be getting in better shape. I hope so.

The kids can’t stop talking about UF and next weekend. I hope my body holds out, though they’re at the stage now where they could easily play on their own, so I could assume the position of spectator if I wanted to. Then again, life’s always better when you’re a participant, right?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to hk hjgk for the pic.

No comments: