Monday, June 13, 2011

Hot Market and Market Reflections

We had our second market, and it was more like I remember it last year, meaning a little slow, but not terribly. For whatever reason, last week was really busy. I remember cooking dumplings like crazy and not being able to keep up, which is unusual. Usually there is a lull and I can stockpile product to meet the evening/dinner rush. Last week, the demand was constant, which is good because we sold out of everything, but stressful as we rushed to keep up.

This last market, things were more normal, though the weather was unseasonably hot, and when I say hot, I mean scorching. It makes everyone miserable, especially yours truly, who does not do well in the heat. There was a slight breeze, which saved us, and the cloud cover came now and then, which helped, but all in all, it was a hot day, and that always puts everyone in a sour disposition. It makes the market seem longer, and clean up is a chore because all you want to do is go home and have a cold drink. Surprisingly, sales weren’t bad, but again, not as brisk as last week, which was a bit of an anomaly. Last year’s regular customers, however, are slowly beginning to trickle in, and it’s nice to see them again.

One nice note is that we’re surrounded by other food vendors that do well, and it makes for a more enjoyable time. In the past, we were usually next to a vendor that did not do a lot of business, and it made me feel self conscious, if not a bit guilty, that things were slow for them while we did okay. This year, we have the Cupcake Queen who makes the most amazing cupcakes you’ve ever seen. Not only are they creative, clever, and beautiful, but they taste amazing. They are hot sellers, and people come from miles around just to have them. I can’t say I blame them. We had the hot fudge sundae cupcake, and was it ever good. The two women who make them are super nice, and we enjoy being their neighbors.

They weren’t so keen on the heat, either, at least in terms of their cupcakes, but I personally thought they tasted good a little melted.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to enrico nunziati and Brandon van Eeden for the pic.

1 comment:

Rick said...

Hi Fred,

We haven't made time to get to the market yet this year, but look forward to it soon. Looking forward to the Queen's cupcakes too, though a cupcake book I gave my princess at Christmas has been paying dividends :).

When I was in high school and painting houses to support my tech habit (r/c planes and a HP-55 programmable calculator) I used to wear an air conditioned hat. Dipped it in water every hour and it made me cool as a cucumber.

Rick