Thursday, June 23, 2011

Surviving Balloon Fest

We thought we were going to squeak by without having to go to Balloon Fest, but it’s pretty hard to avoid. Then again, we managed last year. The kids were playing with their buddy CH, and they were talking about going because he’s a big fan of the balloons. Once the subject came up, our kids were primed and ready. Plus, the way it worked out with A and her other buddy H, they ended up going there anyway, so there was no way we weren’t going.

Before I go any further, just wanted to say thanks a bunch to my Mentor for all his help. We got to the fest a little later than we had planned, or should I say, later than N wanted, because I had to meet the plumber to discuss the plans for the barn, and then we had to engage in all that boring adult conversation that drives our kids nuts.

Being the frugal guy that I am, I didn’t want to pay for parking, so we parked just down the road by the covered bridge, which wasn’t so bad. We got the fest and cruised around, not sure what our plan was. We checked out the frisbee dog show, and N loved that. It was interesting being back in Quechee, in our old haunt, no less. We saw a bunch of people we hadn’t seen in awhile, and even some we had just met. In fact, we saw RL, a potential playmate and buddy for N, though at the time, N completely blew the kid off. So much for congeniality. I think he tends to gravitate to older kids because he hangs with his big sister so much.

As luck would have it, we ran into the H’s, and that pretty much made the rest of our day a good one. Not only was CH being his usual cool self by inviting N to hang out with him and his buddy, but I got to hang out with my buddy, DH, while the boys took off and roamed on their own. Talk about a life saver. Then again, I would have been fine just sitting somewhere by myself and eating corn dogs, but I like DH, we definitely jive on a lot of matters, including music, though he’s much more erudite on this subject.

It was good for N because he got to hang with CH, who he adores, and they got to feel somewhat independent with the parents not around. It was a fun day, and we eventually crossed paths with A and her buddy. It ended up being a late night for everyone, and preceding a really busy week. This should be interesting.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to luvablelou for the pic.

No comments: