Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hockey Heaven

I just wanted to mention that for the first time in a long time, the Stanley Cup Finals involve two teams that I want to win. Usually in the past there was one team that I really wanted to win and another that I not only did not care for, but couldn’t understand why it even existed. Or, I was ambivalent about the end result.

For example, for about three years there were teams from cities that couldn’t care less about hockey, and they were playing teams where hockey is revered, i.e., Canada. Personally, I’d like to see the Cup go back to Canada, where they truly love hockey. In the US, there are teams in places that don’t even like hockey, like Tampa Bay, North Carolina, and Anaheim. To compound the injustice, these teams all beat teams from Canada (Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa, respectively), and their respective cities don’t even support their teams. Let’s face it, the south is football and basketball country, not to mention baseball. Hockey is just not that popular.

Anyway, this year, two teams that I’d love to see win are in the final, Boston and Vancouver. Sure, Boston isn’t Canadian, but they’re an original 6 team, and they haven’t won it in nearly 40 years. Vancouver has never won it, though they played one of the greatest series against the Rangers.

This should be good. The only question is, who should I root for? I’d have to go with Boston on that one, as part of my training to be a New Englander, right?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Jason Antony for the pic.

No comments: