Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Crazy Monday

Our big week of conflicting camps started, and as usual, it was a little nutty. The problem is that I have to be in two places within a short amount of time, so I end up driving all over the place. It’s a bummer.

A’s camp starts at 9:00, and N’s at 1:00. They finish at different times, as well, and they are far apart. So R takes A to her camp and me and N hang out until about lunchtime. We were in search of a raincoat for A, so we headed over to W. Leb and struck out big time. I also got N’s skates sharpened, and ordered dumpling wrappers for the end of the week.

Around noon, we headed out to hockey camp, and when we got there, they were in the midst of what they call dryland, or basically running drills outside. The kids are in camp from 9-4:30, which I know is usual, but what a long day. They must be whipped by the end. We opted to do just the half day from 1-4:30, but it turns out that we are the only ones. Oh well, what are you going to do? I can’t imagine bouncing N out of bed by 7:30 to get there by 8:30. At some point you gotta give these kids a break.

Anyway, N jumped in and played around, and it was clear that these kids were not only older, but experienced. Some of them seemed like they were in their teens. Once playtime was over, they geared up and headed for the ice. I’ll tell you one thing, it sure is interesting in that locker room with 20 young boys. The atmosphere was chaotic, and there was a lot of screaming and yelling. N just sat there and took it all in. I helped him gear up, but I think it’s good for him to be a little independent, so we might work on that next time. There is a coach there to help him out, so I’ll wait outside if he needs me.

Once they were on the ice, the fun began. Again, these kids are older and more experienced, something the coach alluded to, but N held his own. He looked good out there, and on the drills where he had to race to the puck, he was quick. Also, he showed more tenacity and focus when going after the puck. I love watching him play.

At some point I had to go pick up A, so I reluctantly left the ice and headed back to the other camp and got her. We piled back into the car and then headed back to the ice, where we got to watch a little bit of the hockey scrimmage. Again, N looked good, he’s getting more comfortable out there on the ice, and he’s showing more drive and motivation. His strength will work in his favor down the line.

After the scrimmage, we hit the locker room, loaded up the car and headed home. What a crazy day, and it was only the beginning of the week.

I can’t wait for more. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to michaelaw for the pic.

No comments: