Monday, July 4, 2011

Quid Pro Quo

We had CH over after drama camp and it’s always a joy to see that boy. What a great kid, so smart, considerate, and well mannered, not to mention interesting. One of the few kids that adults, or at least me, can have a conversation with. Not only does he engage, but has some fascinating thoughts and insights for a kid. For the record, he’s very environmentally conscious.

The plan was to pick the kids up after camp and then take A to her guitar. Since we had CH with us, we had to entertain the boys while A strummed her guitar, so I dropped them off at the Howe, took A over to Strings, then jetted over to the Coop for some vittles. After that, I went to get the boys, picked up A, and then went back home. It’s a bear when you have a half hour lesson all the way in the big city, and we like to schedule other activities out there to make it more worth our while.

I had made chili and cornbread for supper, along with a little salad, and the kids had a meal. Afterward they lobbied for ice cream, and I had little choice but to give in when I’m that outnumbered. After supper, the kids went outside to get crazy and we awaited the arrival of CH’s mom, CH.

It turns out that CH was going to do us a huge favor the next day, when we had market. The big problem we’re facing is that we would have to pull A out of camp early to get to Hanover on time. She was really bummed about this, and truth be told, I didn’t want to put her through it. She loves camp. Besides, the kids would always rather hang with their buddies than with their boring old parents. It was a big request, but CH gladly offered to help. I like to think we’re good enough friends that she would be comfortable saying no, and I think she is, but even still, she’s so nice that she would always want to help. Just to be safe, I’m formulating my backup plan. Always have to have a plan B.

Either way, the plan was set, complicated by the fact that kids are starting to get runny noses. There’s a cold going around, and we don’t want to hand out germs to our friends and neighbors, but when you think about it, that’s how we got it in the first place.

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this, because it’s a long stretch, about 5 hours, maybe more. I’m going to make them some supper to make life easier, even though she says it isn’t necessary. They can always decide for themselves whether they want to eat it.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Aleš Čerin for the pic.

No comments: