Sunday, July 31, 2011

Honesty is the Best Policy

Maybe I’m overreacting, it wouldn’t be the first time, but the kids showed flashes of honesty that just melted my heart, and made me once again feel unworthy.

First off, N was hanging with JD and my Mentor, and they got him some ice cream after the pickup. Now nobody would have known this if he had kept quiet, he could have pulled off the perfect crime, but he was honest. After JD and my Mentor dropped N off at HH’s, they ate supper, and then went to the farm stand to get ice cream. N said no thank you, because he had ice cream earlier. Can you believe that? How cool is that? I’m so proud of that kid. Later that night, before brushing his teeth, I snuck some chocolate ice cream to him, just to remind him what a cool kid I think he is, not that he needs reminding.

The week earlier, when the kids joined us at the market, A went to the Hogwash stand and got a burger and sausage sandwich. They gave her too much change, $7 instead of $5, so they went back and returned the money. The farmer, N, was so happy and appreciative of the kid’s honesty that she gave them both t-shirts from the farm.

They were excited, they’re cool shirts, and it just goes to show you that it pays to be honest. At the very least, you can be proud that you did the right thing.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Billy Alexander for the pic.

No comments: