Friday, July 22, 2011

Hockey Sunday and Low Turnout at UF

We had hockey Sunday last week and it was a low turnout at the skills camp. I think most of these kids have been there, done that, but I think it’s really cool having the camp, and N loves it. I also thoroughly enjoy just sitting there and watching, though I’m acutely aware of the fact that I’m the only parent who sits there and watches. What a rookie I am.

Either way, because the turnout was low, competition was not as fierce, so N was better able to hang with the group, dare I say in a fairly competitive manner. As much as I realize that a player or competitor benefits from competing with a superior player, it’s nice to get a little confidence boost now and then, especially when you’re behind the pack in terms of experience.

After hockey, we bolted over the field for some ultimate frisbee, but not too many people showed up. In fact, it was only JM, TL, B and CH. CH was a pleasant surprise, he’s never been there before, and he even said it’s his first time playing. Not sure what to do, JM took command and we played on half a field with the kids. It was actually a lot of fun, more manageable for my tired old body and because the pros weren’t there (except for JM and TL, of course), the kids got to play a lot. In fact, they were involved in pretty much every play.

I’m guessing the heat drove people away, though by that time, it’s a lot cooler and much more manageable. Even still, to have nobody how up was a little strange.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Frank Levert for the pic.

No comments: