Saturday, July 30, 2011

Welcome Back, Mr. C

Since the meeting we went to was for R, the hotel was reserved in her name, so the placard that got us in (AZ is big on exclusivity and gated communities) was labeled with her last name (sort of) C. So, every time we pulled into the compound, since it was me driving, they'd say, "Welcome back Mr. C" They were probably thinking I was the strangest looking Mr. C they'd ever seen.

Either way, it was an interesting trip, and there is much to tell, though I couldn't blog at the time because I was under the gun, but I'll leave it at that.

First off, I just want to say that given the choice, I would not fly Southwest Airlines. Sure, they offer many convenient flights out west, but a couple of things really made it inconvenient. First off, they don't give you any food or entertainment. I realize this is a cost cutting measure, but other airlines at least give you a movie. A 5 hour flight is tough with kids when there's nothing for them to do. Also, the fact that they don't give you seat assignments is a complete joke. As a family, you run the risk of not getting to sit together. Granted, they have a family seating policy, but it applies to families with children under 4. So if you're child is 5, tough luck. In all fairness, most of the ticketing agents let us slide and board as a family, but one guy took it too seriously and wouldn't let us in at first. He kept saying it wasn't his rule, but the decision was up to him. A good example of a person letting power go to his head.

Either way, I won't be going out of my way to fly Southwest. Also, we got really bad vibes from Dollar Rent a Car, and again, we won't be using them, either.

We did, however, have a really nice time at our hotel. It's actually a resort called the Boulders, I can honestly say that it's the sort of place we would never in a million years stay at. We're not resort-like people, and the idea of being pampered completely repulses me. I can open my own door, thank you. I think the idea of staying at a resort feeds into people's insecurities of wanting to appear affluent and privileged. Unfortunately, when you leave the resort and go home, real life kicks back into gear.

Since it was July and nobody in their right mind would vacation in AZ, the rates were low, and we got to experience resort life to its fullest. The kids got a kick out of it, but again, I had my issues. First off, you don't have to walk anywhere, even if it's 10 feet away. They have a massive fleet of golf carts that will come to your door and take you anywhere on the compound. Like America doesn't need a little more exercise?

We walked everywhere, even though the kids longed to ride in the golf carts. We did ride them a few times, but I really felt embarrassed to be carted to our car. I guess it makes some people feel special. Speaking of special, the resort definitely works toward making you feel that way. You can sit by the pool and not move a muscle as they bring you drinks, food, and even a towel and sunscreen. It's a bit shameful, if not embarrassing. I'm guessing it makes people feel like royalty, but I thought it showed a lack of respect for other people. I realize people pay for this privilege, but isn't there a better way to get your kicks.

We ended up spending our days either in our air-conditioned rooms or in the pool, which was fine for a vacation, but how do people live there on a day to day basis. It was at least 105 degrees every day, even when the clouds rolled in. The food was good, and it was nice to have some Mexican food. Two places that really scored home runs for me were Rubio's fish tacos and In N Out Burger, my two favorite foods from LA. That alone made the trip worth it.

We ended up exploring AZ to some degree, and we went to some fun places, but I'll have to elaborate more on that later. For now, there are dumplings that need to made for next week. Until then, thanks for reading

No comments: