Friday, July 22, 2011

Juggling Pickup Times and Thanks to JD (and My Mentor)

Before I get too into this, I want to whine and point out that the problems we are dealing with here all stem from this dumb market. Okay, I’ve said what I need to say.

We prepped for the market with so much going on, and the hot weather didn’t improve my disposition, which was lingering on the foul end. Not only does the heat bring me down, way down, but I wasn’t going to be able to watch N at his hockey camp, and I had to arrange rides and caretaking for both A and N. Since they were in different camps, that meant finding two separate people to do the pickup. Talk about complicated.

To make matters worse, N was all the way in Woodstock, which was asking a lot for someone to head out there. A was easy, her camp is close, and HH’s kids were there, so they could all head home together. What to do about N?

Finally, I asked our good friend JD to do us a huge favor. She happens to be the better half of my Mentor and is down here for the Summer, and the kids lover her and she gets long so well with them. The big question, however, was whether she could pull it off. She has to work, and she might have had to work that night. If so, my Mentor said he could go get N, but JD knows the drill, her son played hockey, and there was an outside chance that my Mentor would have to fly on Wed.

Anyway, JD found out she was off, and she said she could help. The plan was for HH to pick up A and take her back to her place, and then JD would go and get N and take him over to HH’s, where they would eat supper. Now I always do this and in retrospect, it’s probably going overboard, but I offer to make them supper to make it easier on them. She never refuses, but I don’t think it’s necessary for me to go that length. It’s my fault, I feel compelled to offer, and I do appreciate her help. Also, I figure I’m feeding our kids, as well.

I ended up making a huge amount of food, and it pretty much took the entire morning to make it. Afterward, I had to set up for the market, drop N off at hockey camp, and then leave, which was a total bummer. It was good practice for me to be less overbearing and to lighten up and let him do things on his own. Yikes, is that really how far we’ve come? The coaches could help him to get in and out of his gear, as could JD, who is a pro.

In the end, it worked out fine, and N didn’t need me there at all. Boo-hoo. Our little boy is growing up, and is a hockey player to boot.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Lioness65 for the pic.

No comments: