Thursday, July 14, 2011

Just Be a Man

I have been having shoulder problems, and at some point it was a struggle just lifting my arm above my shoulder. What a bummer. I figured it was due to ultimate frisbee, because that’s pretty much the only activity that I take part in that requires that sort of motion. With this in mind, I decided I was done for now.

The problem is, when I take the kids to play, as I sit there and watch, not only does everyone expect me to play because I’ve played the past several weeks, but I feel kind of silly just sitting there, and the truth is, I want to play. So, after sitting out a few games, I decided the heck with it, I’m in. Besides, my shoulder wasn’t hurting so bad at that point, so my excuse wasn’t holding much water, not that anyone challenged me. There are enough older guys players to understand that injuries are a part of aging.

Of course, it was fun, and the kids had a blast. In fact, A caught her first touchdown, and then caught another. She was so thrilled. N also impressed the others with his tossing ability, which for the record was impressive. I just wanted to mention how good some of these guys are. The young players are amazing, but the older guys who play are incredibly good, as well. It all makes me a feel a little inadequate, but what else is new?

After the game, we had some supper and then off to bed. The kids had yet another busy weekend, and we just can’t seem to just sit around and relax. We’ll have to work on that one. R and I realize that you have to kick and scream to have family time, but it’s something worth fighting for, even if it offends and pisses off your friends and neighbors. I’m good at that.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.



and thanks to Andrzej PobiedziƄski for the pic.

No comments: