Monday, July 18, 2011

Frying on Friday

We’ve been lucky with the good weather lately. For the past few days, no rain, not too much heat, and simply stellar weather. The beauty of this is that I get to spend all these days inside making dumplings. How cool is that? We set about doing the dumplings this year thinking it would be more manageable, but it’s still a bummer, and the time it takes away from doing other things at times drives me to despair, but enough of my whining.

We had a busy weekend planned, with the kid’s friends sleeping over and hockey and UF. Oh yeah, did I mention that my Mentor took the kids up in his balloon, as well? More on that later.

Because of the slew of activities that we had in store, we couldn’t really make dumplings during the weekend. How weird would that be for our friends, to sit there and watch us make dumplings? So I took it upon myself to suffer a little (a lot?) and make the dumplings on Friday and Saturday morning, and then free us up for the weekend. It wasn’t easy, but these are the things you do for your family.

It was interesting because we usually spread it out over the course of the week, so it’s hard to get a real sense of how much time it all takes, but doing it all at once makes this clearer. On Friday, I was making fillings and dumplings and then cooking them for about 8 hours, no joke. I had to take breaks to make meals and wash up, but I was working pretty much straight through the day. On Saturday, R and I worked for about 6 hours, so it works out to about 14 hours of labor. You realize you can’t really take a break after the market, because the next market is right around the corner. What a drag.

Anyway, we got it done, and were finished and ready to be servants to the kids for the weekend, and what a weekend it was. We had a lot of fun, and there was so much going on, but that’s for another time.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to alex ringer for the pic.

No comments: