Monday, July 11, 2011

Joining the Fun

We had parent/child open stick, and I got to live out my hockey fantasies with my son. It’s a good chance for N to practice puck handling and shooting, and I get to join in on the fun. If I knew more about the game, I’d work with him and help him prepare for his practice, but I’ve never played before, so it’s hard to know. The best I can do is pass him the puck, but even that I tend to mess up. Then again, it’s good practice for him to field bad passes, because not everyone is going to get it right on the tape.

Whatever be the case, it’s a lot of fun, and he really enjoys it. This past weekend was more manageable than last week, because the crowd was smaller and mellower. The last time there were some college/high school players who were good and shot rockets into the net, which can be a little scary. This time it was much more user friendly.

N has also asked for a new jersey, as I think I mentioned before. These can be incredibly expensive, and when you see some people wearing their favorite team shirts, you realize they spent upwards of $150 dollars for them. Crazy. Also, it’s hard to find a jersey that doesn’t have a player’s name, and N doesn’t know one from another, so it’s not an issue. If anything, he preferred one with no name, which created another challenge. Finally, after much searching, I think we may have found what we were looking for at the Sports Authority. In fact, the woman on the phone said her sons played hockey and not only helped us enormously in our search, but even gave me some helpful tips. I love when that happens.

Now we wait and see. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Neil Thorne for the pic.

No comments: