Monday, July 18, 2011

Feeling the Heat

This past Tuesday HH came over and we worked on the barn, but man was it hot. Too hot for my bones, it's like the Mojave desert out there and it makes me crabby. I sort of invited ourselves, or at least the kids, to her house because not only is she alone with her daughter (her other daughter is away at camp), but she has a pool. The only reason I brought it up was because I figured it is easier to have friends over with just one child than having to entertain all by yourself. Plus, with the excessive heat, a pool is just the right thing. Sure, it was self-serving on my part, but again, I only broached the subject because I thought it would be mutually beneficial. I am not defensive!

She was all for it, and I made some pasta and salad for their lunch. The kids were thrilled not only because they couldn’t wait to swim, but they didn’t have to hang with their boring and crabby dad. This left me free to run errands that needed to be done before market, including cleaning and packing up the dumpling stuff. This included a trip to CVS, Joe’s to get the lawnmower blade, then to the store to get fruit and veggies for the household.

By the time I got back, I had time to whip up something for supper. Then it was off to the library for our trustee meeting, which for the record went well because I did was I assigned to do. When it came up, I had something to show them, and they didn’t spank me. What a relief.

The meeting even ended early, and when I went to pick up the kids, they weren’t there. I figured they were at the pond, and on the way home, I passed HH and met up at her place. The kids were hounding me to have H&IH over for supper, which I am all for because we really like them, but man was I tired. I just wanted to have a quiet supper and then veg with a Netflix, but now we were going to entertain. It’s hard because we like having friends over for dinner, we just don’t have the energy.

Not that that was an issue. I said it would be fine, then jetted home to whip up some more food for our guests. R was there when I got there, we pulled in at the same time, and we set about getting ready. H&IH arrived with the kids, and we had a nice supper, though I was exhausted. Then again, what else is new?

In many ways, we have become our own worst nightmare. We always rail on families that do too much and over-schedule their days, but here we are, doing just that. Summer is hell, way too many things going on. I long for Winter where all I have to worry about is shoveling snow and cleaning the stove.

Now we have the market to look forward to. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Thomas van den Berg for the pic.

No comments: