Saturday, July 30, 2011

Reflections on Hockey

Now that we’ve wrapped up hockey camp for N, and I have to say, I’ve really enjoyed watching the kids play, especially N (naturally). It just looks like a lot of fun, and as I mentioned, it’s nice and cool in that arena. We really got to beat the heat that week.

N had a great time, and the coaches were really nice and supportive. I think N has a lot of athletic ability to make this work out, and he is a good listener and learner, and really tries his best. There are times when I watch him and he seems a little distracted and dreamy, but the places where I think he could use a little work are all areas where coaching and experience will come into play. I think the natural athletic abilities are there, they just need to be trained and molded. As long as he’s having fun and enjoying it, but also meets the challenge. There's a character lesson in there.

I met one of the dads whose son will be on N’s team, and he’s a good player. He’s been playing for a year or two, so he’s got a leg up. With all the skating and hockey that we've been doing, N's been able to catch-up a little. It’s nice now to have a break, but I will personally miss the ice time, especially when I get to play with him. For now, we get a break until the Fall, and then hockey will kick into full gear.

Some things we have to keep an eye on for N that are not critical but things he wants are a new helmet (he wants a black one) and a new hockey bag. There are equipment sales that the different hockey programs hold, so we’ll keep an eye out for those. Otherwise, we get to relax for a couple of months.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Adam Klepsteen for the pic.

No comments: