Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Calendar, Perhaps?

We are fairly busy with school work and life overall, so much so that we often don’t get around to doing the things we want to do. This includes regularly working on karate and also practicing our music. The karate part is my bad, and the music is, to a large degree, my responsibility, as well. The kids won’t practice unless I make them, and then I come out as mean dad, but such is the life of parenting.

A lot of the time the kids end up practicing their instruments the day of the lesson, which is all painfully redolent of cramming for an exam, and something we’ve wanted to avoid all along. With karate, I’d love for N to get involved, but he is reluctant to join the class. He would be willing, however, to practice with his sister and I at home. Say no more, let’s do it.

In the end, a week flies by, and though I have all these grandiose plans of practicing during the week, but the next lesson or class, we’ve let it fall by the wayside, and I’m bummed and disappointed with myself once again.

It occurred to me that we met benefit from a calendar with practice days actually scheduled in. I’m not good with organization, and feel like we should practice these things whenever the time allows for it, but doesn’t seem to be working. We’re going to have get military with this and start putting it down on paper. There is, of course, the strong possibility that we’ll simply ignore the schedule (things have a way of suddenly coming up), but let’s worry about that when the time comes.

For now, thanks for reading, and thanks to Iris Scherer for the pic.

No comments: