Friday, September 2, 2011

Thirteenth Market, More Good Neighbors, and Slower Still

We had our thirteenth market, which I still think is slowing down, though we’ve had good weather for the past few weeks. Thanks for that. I mentioned to S that things seemed slow, and she got defensive and said she’d investigate. I regretted bringing it up because it’s not that much slower, and if anything, it makes the market more manageable, but there are not huge numbers of customers flocking to the FM. Other people have seconded this thought, so I’m not alone.

Either way, I do think things will pick up in the coming weeks, because the transition to Fall is occurring, and the Summer crowd is leaving or has left. Once the full time students return, the market usually picks up.

Also, we got more good vibes from some other vendors. There is a farm that sells loads of fresh berries and apples, and we bought some of their apples to make our dumplings. I mentioned this to them, and he brought over a bushel of apples he can’t sell because they have a bruise or are too small. I was a little surprised because I’ve purchased bags from the store that have both, but his standards are clearly higher than the chain supermarkets.

Now we have loads of apples. We even gave him some of our apple dumplings and he kept saying it wasn’t necessary, but it’s the least we could do. Besides, he might like them.

The next few weeks should be interesting. Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: