Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dahlia Festival

Last weekend was the annual Dhalia Fest that our good friends and neighbors JM and NT put together. It’s such a nice party, and everyone had a great time. The food was good, great people to mingle with, and the show was a lot of fun, mainly because we got to watch A perform. There was a threat of rain, but we weren’t going to let that stop us from having a good time.

I do have to confess, however, that large crowds give me a bit of pause in terms of relaxing and enjoying myself. It reminds me so much of college and being in the frat, though the people are so much nicer. I just wander from group to group, looking for someone to chat with, nursing a beer. R had things to do at home, and I know she struggles with the same issues, so I was on my own. If she had been there, we could have sequestered ourselves in a corner and survived that way, but I was solo. That’s what food and drink are for, right?

The kids had a blast because there were a bunch of other kids there, and A was thrilled because she got to be on stage, and I think she’s a bit taken in by the whole celebrity thing. Her friends are very supportive, and it’s cute to see them get excited by the whole event. Most of the kids got up there and either performed a skit or sang a song, and I was impressed to no end by that fact. That’s pretty courageous for young kids, I admire that.

The show went late, ending about 10:00PM, and then the rest of the performers (they were mostly adults and young adults) went to the pond for a bonfire and swim, which our kids and most of the others wanted to take part in, but we said thanks, but no thanks. It was way past my bedtime.

What a nice evening, though a late one. My tired old bones can’t handle all this debauchery, and I wonder how I ever pulled it off when I was younger.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Suresh for the pic.

No comments: