Sunday, September 11, 2011

Guys Day Out

N started his golf lessons the other day, and it was a good opportunity for the boys and girls of the house to have their respective days together. A is always asking for a day out with mom, usually with no boys allowed, so N and I go out and do guy things. Male bonding at its best.

The lesson was over in W. Leb, which meant that at some point we’d get ice cream at Fore-U. A bonus if there ever was one. We also went to Stella’s for lunch, and I wasn’t famished so just had a bowl of soup, but N had a killer burger with bacon on it. I was jealous, it was so good.

We had a really early lunch, so we had time to burn. We headed out to look for stuff for the Winter. N still needs a light coat for Fall, so we hit both Listen Centers and found nothing he liked. He also needs shoes, but used shoes are a tough call. I think he’s better off with a reasonably priced pair of new ones.

We were early for the lesson, so we stopped at the pro shop and browsed around. Pretty amazing place, they do ski stuff, as well. Our friend, E, works there, so we chatted for a bit, and then watched a guy on the driving simulator. N was quite taken in by it all. We also looked at kid’s clubs, which they have plenty of, but let’s not ahead of ourselves.

N said he didn’t want to get ice cream until after the lesson, maybe because he didn’t want to lose focus. Instead, we got a bucket of balls and went to the driving range. N is a very athletic and coordinated kid, and I’m no expert, but his swing impresses me. I’ve never played golf, but I know some of the basics and tried to relay them to him. I worried a bit about teaching him the wrong things, but nothing his coach can’t rectify.

I also have to admit that hitting balls on the driving range is kind of fun. It sure beats miniature golf, though the kids would disagree. We met with PH at the driving range, and he worked with N on certain motion exercises, but soon realized that N had the motions down pat. He had N swing a bat and golf club at various objects, and said to me, and I quote, “We have ourselves a real golfer here.” I kind of new that, but would never have said as much.

PH said what R and I already kind of know - N has the physical ability and coordination that are important to play golf, but are really hard to teach. His swing is very good, and he has good hand-eye coordination in hitting the ball. Plus, N is very earnest and listens intently to what is being told to him and is a good learner.

Basically, he’s a jock. Now that he’s got some golf under his belt, who knows where we’ll go from here. Before we got ice cream, N wanted to do a round mini golf. How could I say no? After, we got mondo scoops of chocolate ice cream, then took the scenic route home.

It was late afternoon, so I still had time to mow the lawn. Life is good.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Becco Eliacik for the pic.

No comments: