Thursday, September 15, 2011

Taking the Plunge

I struggled and tortured myself over finding a good used hockey helmet for N. I thought I’d found a happy medium at the swap, but the helmet turned out to be too small, not to mention white instead of black. Plus, a helmet is an important piece of equipment, maybe that’s the one thing you should spend a little money on.

N is not a demanding kid, and he’s never made issue of the fact that his equipment looks like the end result of a yard sale. After searching high and low for the helmet of his dreams, I finally decided to take the plunge and go to Stateline Sports and buy him a new one. Truth be told, a new helmet costs under $50, and while you can get a used one for about $5, you often get what you pay for.

I won’t belabor this point, and I’m glad that he’s got a good helmet and hope he really loves hockey. Also the helmet is black and expires in 2017, so we have a good five years on this thing, especially since it’s adjusted to its smallest size. We can only go up from here. The guy at the store was super helpful, and did several adjustments and even replaced the cage so that the fit was perfect. It was a great experience overall, and I think N was happy about it.

At the very least I’m relieved that I don’t have to jump into the trenches and fight for used equipment. It’s dog eat dog out there, and the big Woodstock sale, where I’m guessing you can find amazing deals, was cancelled because of the flood. Total bummer. I’m still searching for a bag on wheels, but we’re in good shape for now.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Shannah Pace for the pic.

No comments: