Thursday, September 1, 2011

Karate Goes On

I got a call on the night of karate from Master H that he was stranded up where he lives because of the hurricane and couldn’t get out. He mentioned that there was going to be a test, and that he gave his blessing for it to go on as scheduled. I missed last week, so I had no clue what he was talking about.

A also mentioned that she didn’t want to go to karate, which kind of made my heart sink, but I didn’t want to force her. I feel bad in a way because all of her friends have dropped out, and she’s the last kid standing. I also feel bad because I don’t practice enough with her, but that will change once dumplings end (hopefully for good).

Either way, we went to class, all the same. The kids called R and asked her to pick them up during the class, so it was going to be dad riding solo on this one. I had a sinking feeling that nobody was going to show up, but when we got there, DC and LS were there, so class was on. I got a call from PC who said they couldn’t make it, so it was going to be quiet.

The funny thing is, though the class was small, just the three of us, it was two serious students and sensei C, so we had a great class. I am grateful to DC for coming because he is hardcore, and not only takes it very seriously, but is a great teacher and does a really thorough job. We ran through some drills that I felt would be good practice in becoming a killing machine.

Best of all, the next day A said she wanted to practice katas, which took me by surprise. I sort of figured that she was done with karate and was moving on, but she no, she wanted to continue, she just didn’t feel like going to that class. This, of course, pleased me to no end, because I like the idea of the kids being proficient at defending themselves and inflicting bodily harm when the occasion calls for it.

In the meantime, we need to practice our lethal techniques. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to jose assenco for the pic.

No comments: