Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Hockey Sale

The big city hockey program had their annual equipment swap/sale, and it was dog eat dog. Don’t mess around with the urbanites. I’m just kidding, the swap is a great opportunity to get cheap used gear that is, for the most part, in pretty good shape. Our goal was to find a good helmet to N’s liking, and whatever other equipment we might need to replace.

Everything he is currently using we got for free from our good friend, KB. Thanks again to him, he saved our behinds. The one issue that has recently cropped up is his helmet, a key piece of equipment. We lucked out in that the one KB lent us fit. What are the chances of that? The problem is, and this sort of baffles me, the helmets have expiration dates. From what I can gather, they are designed to last about 5 years, and then they expire. I kind of thought this was ridiculous, but apparently some referees will check the date, and if they are expired, the kids can’t play. What a bummer.

The helmet seems perfectly fine to me, but one other small issue, and I know this is insignificant, but the helmet is blue. No big deal, right? The only thing is, he is the only kid with a blue helmet. Plus, we are the only family (when I say only, I mean ONLY) that doesn’t use a hockey equipment bag. I carry his stuff in a London Fog travel bag, and the stuff fits, but it does make me a little self conscious. Projection, maybe? N has indicated that he wouldn’t mind a hockey bag on wheels that he can cart on his own.

With this in mind, I set out to find two things at these used equipment sales - a black helmet that fits and is not expired, and an equipment bag on wheels. When I went to the big city sale, however, I screwed up and got there late. By late, I mean I wasn’t 30 minutes early, because the hockey parents are hardcore, and for good reason. The thing started at 9:00, and I didn’t want to seem fanatical, and got there around 9:30. Big mistake, because a lot of the good stuff was gone. I also suffered because I didn’t bring N, and he couldn’t try stuff on, so I had to wing it.

I will say this, the bargains were amazing. I guess everyone donates the old equipment, and I don’t think I saw anything for over $10. In fact, I managed to score a helmet (white, expires 2013) and a bag. The bags were all long gone by the time I got there, but I got totally lucky. A woman had come late to donate equipment, and as the guy in charge was looking through it and pricing it, I asked him, in front of her, if there were any more bags. He said they go fast, and the early birds got the worms. This woman felt pity on me, and said she could part with her bag, and I scored it for $4. Wow, I was feeling pretty lucky.

The only problem is, the helmet doesn’t fit N. What a drag, it’s a nice helmet, fairly new. Did I mention it expires in 2013? I just want to mention that N has never made a big issue of the bag or the helmet. He’s just happy to be playing, but it has crossed his mind, and he has said in passing that he’d like to have a hockey bag, and a black helmet. Again, he’s never complained or made a fuss, he just voiced his preference. Fair enough. I remember what it was like being a kid, and it’s hard when you are the lone wolf, the one kid who is different. I remember playing baseball in 5th grade and having cleats that could fit Shaquille O’Neal. It was embarrassing, but my parents couldn’t be bothered with my problems.

I hate to waste money, but sometimes in the quest to save money, you end up wasting more of it, not to mention time. On the bright side, the stuff only set me back $10, and somebody can use the helmet. Plus, we now have the bag.

For now, the quest continues. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Albin Axelsson for the pic.

No comments: