Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Brown Belt and Proud Parent

We had our test the other night in karate class, and it was a great night, if not a little grueling. Five of us were testing, and we were thinking letting A test, but truth be told, she's only been to three or four classes, and the other people testing have been preparing for months.

However, that is not to say that she isn't ready. She is a good learner (when she wants to be), and has really picked up on the katas and one-step spars. She needs work a little on her technique, but for the most part, she does a good job. She could definitely pass the test, but we decided to wait and give her more time. I think it's for the best.

In the meantime, she did want to be the one to recite the koan, which is usually something most people shy away from. Not A. She was hoping to be chosen last week and gave me grief when she wasn't the one. I spoke to Chip and mentioned she wanted to go, and sure enough she got to go.

She did a wonderful job, and afterward both CH and Master H commented on what a nice job she did, especially how she held her head up high and spoke with confidence. They could have been simply humoring me, but I think she was great.

The test was a bit of a marathon because I had to go last and they ran me through from start to finish. Most people get a break between basics, spars, and katas, but not me. They threw me to the lions. I didn't mind, it's better to just get it all over with, but I was tired, and my mouth was so dry that I was beginning to choke on my tongue. Then I thought about Kwai Chang Kane from Kung Fu and how he could sit naked in the snow for years and eat bugs, and told myself to be a man and deal with it.

Of course, after it was all done, I had to spar, but such is the life of a karate man. A got to spar her two buddies, and I have to say, she is pretty good, especially when you consider that she's only been doing this for a few weeks. She holds her own, and takes instructions really well. She knows how to defend herself when she's under attack, which is the most important thing. Also, she looks too cute for words in her gi and her protective gear. Speaking of which, we need to get her gloves and a helmet so she can complete her training to be a walking lethal weapon.

It was a nice test, I made a few missteps, but all in all, it went fine. I even got a little trophy (pictured above) for having a strong test. You can't beat that.

After the test, we had a little snack of cookies made by PC's wife, JK. She makes these legendary brownies, but since the class has gotten so big, she brought killer cookies instead. Everyone wins in the end.

I told A how proud I was of her, and am secretly hoping that at some point N will join in, too, but no pressure.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: