Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Car Talk

Lots of news on the car front. First off, we got a new car, for those of you who don't know by now, and I can't tell you how happy this makes us. Having a second car is a great thing, and kind of a necessity when you have kids.

Also, I got some good advice from my brother in law, PR, about the new car and our old car. First off, we've been having problems with the old car running cold. It's the strangest thing, but it takes a long time for it to warm up. Usually within the first few miles it's warm and pumping out hot air, but now it's cold and remains cool for miles on end. Not a good thing in the dead of Winter. PR mentioned the thermostat, and I slapped myself in the head and asked, "Why didn't I think of that?" Probably because I'm not PR. I've actually, if you can believe this one, replaced a thermostat, and suddenly it all made sense. I'm not sure if this will solve our problems, which aren't huge. The car runs fine, it's just that it runs cold. You know what I mean.

Either way, it's easy enough to fix, and we'll put our snow tires on at the same time, not that it's an urgent situation. Whatever be the case, Winter is here, and this time of year is always hard on the car.

I also want to change the oil on the Honda, even though they say it isn't necessary until about 6,000 miles, though I'm not sure I'm totally buying that. Either way, PR also recommends an early oil change on a brand new engine, and I'm in agreement with him. The question is, do I do it myself, or pay someone else? The big questions that haunt me.

We are off to NYC for the weekend, so I'll be out of touch until the next week. Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: