Sunday, November 7, 2010

Rocks

Yet another fringe benefit realized from this whole septic system drama has been access to, of all things, rocks. We wanted to build a fire pit for roasting marshmallows and indulging the kid's pyromania fantasies. For the record, the fire marshal said we did not need a burn permit for these occasions.

The first step was to find rocks to line the perimeter of the pit, which proved to be a little trickier than it might seem. We needed bigger rocks, and many of them. We have a few in the garden, but rocks can be useful there, so I went looking elsewhere.

At some point, I called our neighbor, who had a huge pile of them in his field, and he said I could help myself. I was ready to drive over and start collecting when lo and behold, the excavators arrived with the biggest rock collector you can find. The diesel variety.

As they dug up the yard to install the septic system, it was rock city. I could take my pick of the litter, and managed to get my fill without even leaving the property. How fortuitous.

Now we're all set to spend cold Winter evenings around the fire. How cools is that? All we need are some chairs. Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: