Thursday, November 11, 2010

Engineers In The Making

The kids received a model kit to make a replica of an internal combustion engine for N's birthday, and it was one of those really neat gifts from their uncle and aunt, which for the record, they are very adept at finding. In the past, they've chosen real winners for presents, very cool interactive stuff that they love, and this was no exception.

Just the other day, I was outside working and they asked if they could put it together. I said it was fine, expecting that they'd need my help at some point, but after about an hour, they informed me that they'd almost finished it. The engine even has spark plugs that "fire" with each stroke of the pistons. How cool is that? Also, the kids now know about cams and pistons and all sorts of engineer talk.

I was pretty impressed, the machine is not for the faint of heart. Not only did they manage to figure out the assembly, but they worked out the inevitable kinks in making it, and worked together. All in all, it took a lot of cooperation, patience, and focus. They did a really nice job, I'm proud of them.

It was also a good lesson for me to take a step back and let them do their thing. There were points where they could have used my assistance, not that I would have been any help, and at the very least I could have read the instructions and walked them through it, but I was too busy, a fact that they were more than happy to relay to mom. No life or death situations here, but a good chance for them to learn by themselves, accomplish something on their own, and make mistakes and learn from them.

Plus, it's a reminder to me to lighten up and give them some space. A win-win situation, the kind we love.

They can't wait to show their uncle and aunt, as well as their grandparents their handy-work. I can't say I blame them.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: